Sunday, December 25, 2011

Happy Ski and Kilt Season!

What thah?

Bubba and I are fleeing the building for the holidays to go find some snow to ski and kilts to...I don't know...in my case - FLIP.

Since there's no snow to speak of in the US, we're going to Austria to ski the Alps and then, because our friends swear it's an even bigger party than Oktoberfest (which you know we loved), we're joining them in Scotland for a three day long New Year's celebration known as Hogmanay.

Never heard of it?

I hadn't either. And most of the people I've talked to since booking this trip haven't either. So, I guess it's a Scottish thing.

And who doesn't love Scots? OK, I hear rumors, but whatever.

Anyway, WE love Scots, I suppose, and I love men in kilts and since Bubba has vaguely, sort of, with the right cajoling and number of beers, agreed to potentially entertain the concept of maybe getting and wearing one (his favorite color is plaid, after all), we're going to go see what this giant party is all about.

And then maybe jump in the river on New Year's Day. Though, disappointingly, we won't be getting into town in time for the torch parade wherein visitors from faraway places and locals alike can march down the main drags carrying real lit torches of FIRE for some reason I haven't figured out yet.

Too bad on that.

But first - we will ski, as is our Christmas custom. And thanks to the Real Winter Weather Having-ness of Austria, it will not be atop man made snow like so many of the resorts in Lake Tahoe.

And then I'll come back and share photos and we can talk all about how we're all fat from the holiday garbage we ate for six months in the name of Oh It's The Holidays Sure I'll Have Another Slice of Yule Log.

If you want to follow along as we ski and hunt for kilts, I'm on Twitter and Facebook and I'd love to have you along. Just don't hassle me on New Year's Day. I imagine I'll be feeling grotesquely unwell.

Happy whatever you have, folks! Have a G&T for me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I've heard of Hogmanay, but I'm also sort of Scottish. I actually met Jeff because he was in a bagpipe band and my sister was a highland dancer. If you look at pictures of him on facebook, you can see one of him many moons ago looking very sexy in a kilt. I think Bubba has the right build to be able to pull it off too.

    Have lots of fun! And eat lots of Haggis. Or not. I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OhEmGee!!! You LUCKY LUCKY girl!!! I'm soooo excited for you. Take a TON of pictures -- I want to hear all about it. Especially the Scotland part. And the kilts. I hope you have a fabulous time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you two. hope we get to spend a lot of time together in 2012! xoxo
    Travel safe and email me when you are back.

    xo,
    k

    ReplyDelete

[2013 update: You can't comment as an anonymous person anymore. Too many douchebags were leaving bullshit SPAM comments and my inbox was getting flooded, but if you're here to comment in a real way like a real person, go to it.]

Look at you commenting, that's fun.

So, here's the thing with commenting, unless you have an email address associated with your own profile, your comment will still post, but I won't have an email address with which to reply to you personally.

Sucks, right?

Anyway, to remedy this, I usually come back to my posts and post replies in the comment field with you.

But, if you ever want to email me directly to talk about pumpkins or shoes or what it's like to spend a good part of your day Swiffering - shoot me an email to finnyknitsATgmailDOTcom.

Cheers.