Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Calling all chard killers [RECIPE]


That chard is a dangerous vegetable.

Dangerous because it doesn't have the PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE ONSLAUGHT warnings that come with zucchini.

But it should.

Because while I've been able to keep up with the squash production (well, before I ripped the fucker clean out of the ground anyway - whoopsy! spoiler!), I have in no way been able to keep up with the chard growing in the garden and coming weekly in the farm share.

And it totally scares me, y'all, I will not tell a lie.

SO, I've been taking any and all chard recipe suggestions into my kitchen in an effort to stay at all ahead of the MAD GROWTH happening in the garden.

It's a furiously busy time in my kitchen, I don't think I need to tell you.

Anyhoo - I recently tried this recipe from my favorite farmgirl, Susan, which was great in many ways. Not the least of which being the way that it reduces the chard by 6-8 big leaves every time I make it.

Also great is the way it incorporates a nice protein source like tuna into our diets, which is excellent given the Giant Salad For Dinner menu I've been repeating in an effort to stay ahead of the advancing vegetables.

Also ALSO great is the way it doesn't involve my oven being turned on in the heat of summer.

So, if any of these ways appeal to you and you're dying to wrestle free of some chard, try it out and don't forget to have a pickle with it, because hello, one can hardly eat tuna without a pickle. And some wheat toast. And a cocktail.

Ok, not everyone has a cocktail with their tuna, but we like to think cocktails go with all foods eaten after high noon and I'll thank you not to try to convince me otherwise.

And while I did manage to make it pretty soon after seeing Susan's recipe, my good friend and fellow Chard Killer, Jeph, posted first and so, therefore, wins the I'm The Craziest Chard Badass award.

For now anyway...


Finny's version of Susan's Swiss Chard Tuna Salad
Adapted from Susan's Swiss Chard Tuna Salad recipe
My changes in bold
(Serves 2)
Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise (and if you use Miracle Whip, I'll kill you myself. Filthy.)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives (about 10 olives)
1 6-ounce can water packed tuna, drained
3/4 cups chopped Swiss chard stems
6 chopped Swiss chard leaves
1/4 cup loosely packed chopped dill
1 cup (or more) chopped scallions (green onions), white and green parts (about 10 small)
1 cup chopped green garlic stems
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine mayonnaise, dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar in a medium bowl and mix well. Stir in olives, tuna, chopped Swiss chard stems and leaves, dill, green garlic and scallions. Add salt and pepper to taste and more mayonnaise and/or vinegar if desired. Serve with wheat toast and a dill pickle spear (do not EVEN think about serving with disgusting sweet pickles. ew). Enjoy outside on the patio with a fresh cocktail. I suggest a Bombay Sapphire and tonic with a twist OR Maker's on the rocks.

Then sit back and enjoy the momentary lull while the chard regrows all its leaves before your very eyes.

7 comments:

  1. Well, I must say, your recipe looks delicious. Although I've never had chard. It's just something about that bizarre name. Makes me think of turd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I think we'll be looking back at 2008 as The Summer The Most Chard Was Consumed (In The Most Creative and Crazy Ways).

    And 2009? The Summer Finny and Jeph Never Bothered To Grow Chard!

    ;-)

    The salad looks great! Maaaaybe not as good as mine, but great! (I kid! I kid!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great salad. ITA about the miracle whip, by the way.

    ps. your car garbage bag thingy is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy. I don't think I have ever had chard before. My family is soooo picky that they just eat the normal, plain, bland foods. No fun variations in my house. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, be careful when cutting the stems off the chard. We spent an evening in the ER last summer when the husband nearly sliced his finger off. All that chardy goodness tends to obscure the vision.

    A great recipe I have for chard is a hearty fall soup so it might not help you out now with the heat, but it's a good one to keep on hand b/c that chard is going to keep growing.

    Basically - meatballs, pasta (small, obviously not long noodles), parmesan rinds cut into chunks, broth of your choice, chard - bring it all to a boil and then serve with crostini on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?! You guys drink Makers all the way out in California? You go girl! That's also my (and better half's) drink of choice here in Louisville. Why, just a couple of weeks ago we made a pilgrimage to Makers Mark Distillery where we hand dipped our very own bottles. We're thinking of having a family photo taken with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this recipe and it was awesome! I didn't use olives because I hate olives but I did add in halved red grapes. That added a really nice flavor to the salad. Thanks again for sharing your recipes bastardizations! :)

    ReplyDelete

[2013 update: You can't comment as an anonymous person anymore. Too many douchebags were leaving bullshit SPAM comments and my inbox was getting flooded, but if you're here to comment in a real way like a real person, go to it.]

Look at you commenting, that's fun.

So, here's the thing with commenting, unless you have an email address associated with your own profile, your comment will still post, but I won't have an email address with which to reply to you personally.

Sucks, right?

Anyway, to remedy this, I usually come back to my posts and post replies in the comment field with you.

But, if you ever want to email me directly to talk about pumpkins or shoes or what it's like to spend a good part of your day Swiffering - shoot me an email to finnyknitsATgmailDOTcom.

Cheers.