Friday, April 08, 2011

But I don't have service for 10,000

As I was having my hair done last night I got a text from Bubba.

Bubba: We have dinner guests.


Said the man who is allergic to bees and apparently also in charge of bringing them in out of the weather and setting them down gingerly on the dining room table.

The bees are here!

In fact, they're there right now, on my kitchen counter with other supplies I'll need when installing them, and they should go into the hive tonight, as soon as I get home from work and if it's not raining/too cold/extra windy.

You laugh at my Beekeeping for Dummies book, but it is rad.

Right now it looks like it might rain/feels coldish/looks not too windy, so I'm halfway hopeful. If not tonight, tomorrow. Though I really don't want to leave them in that cage for too long.

Imagine if you landed on the runway after a long flight and they made you sit on the tarmac for 2 days before letting you out? Bad news right? Sounds like traveling to Dallas, right? Right. Makes people mad.

Now imagine you're on that flight with 9,999 other people and you've been sucking on sugar syrup for the last 48 hours? MADNESS.

Also, can you imagine the bathroom situation? Ew.

Anyway, I'd like to install them tonight. That way, in a few days they can be mobbed all over my blossoming cherry, lemon, lime and apple trees doing their pollinating best. So that I can have fruit for Bubba's pies and for my precious cocktails. And also so I don't have to think about that bathroom scenario again - blech.

Plus, the hive is out there just waiting and not getting any fuller with honey, so I'd like to have that process underway.

Right now, I'm just a white box in a yard. Boo.
If all goes to plan, I'll have a much more interesting video than this one to share with you guys. One when I actually feel more like a beekeeper since right now I'm more of a beehaver.

Enjoy.

(Hint: That's not static you're hearing.)

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That looks scary and exciting.

    From a complete bee-noob, how do you keep them from just wooshing right on out of the cage and off into the sunset? Do you drop them into the beehive? What's going to make them stay? Not that it's not a lovely beehive - if I were a bee I'm sure I'd find it quite nice. I'm just curious about these things.

    I guess I could always just google. I'll go do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are hovering around the laptop right now admiring your new friends. I'm seriously jealous right now. And I will hope and pray you can safely move them outdoors tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEEES!!! Way to step up, Bubba. The things we do for our spouses.

    P.S. I love that you were having your hair done when you got a text about your bees arriving. The many and contradicting interests of a Finny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You'd think they'd be noisier than that. What do the other animals think? I hope they keep their noses where they belong LOL. Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited to hear about the "install" good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'M EXCITED!!!!.....you would think they were on my dining room table! They are amazzzzzzzing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crazy! Just just out of curiosity, how much does a hive of bees cost?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ho-ly shit. Seeing them in a box on your dining room table looks so much more...INTENSE than seeing them outside. Your husband should get some after handling THAT delivery.

    ReplyDelete

[2013 update: You can't comment as an anonymous person anymore. Too many douchebags were leaving bullshit SPAM comments and my inbox was getting flooded, but if you're here to comment in a real way like a real person, go to it.]

Look at you commenting, that's fun.

So, here's the thing with commenting, unless you have an email address associated with your own profile, your comment will still post, but I won't have an email address with which to reply to you personally.

Sucks, right?

Anyway, to remedy this, I usually come back to my posts and post replies in the comment field with you.

But, if you ever want to email me directly to talk about pumpkins or shoes or what it's like to spend a good part of your day Swiffering - shoot me an email to finnyknitsATgmailDOTcom.

Cheers.