Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Oh Finny, how does your garden grow?

Sloooooooooooooowly.

Ok, I admit it, I have precious little patience with most things in life, and that includes my garden. Now, in the spring, when I plant my vegetable garden, I tend to use *gasp* seedling plants to start out, instead of seeds. But for my winter garden, I used seeds and they are taking FOREVER. For someone used to seeing dramatic growth spurts and practically listening to the plants sprout blossoms and new leaves, I'm having a hard time with this winter gardening.

However, I am trying to be patient and here's some new photos of the "progress" I found when I ventured out into the garden between rain storms:

Broccoli, taking it's sweet ass time:


Lettuce, now rescued from snacking squirrels, making a second attempt at production:


And the mighty carrots, showing the most promising growth. Especially the one with such a strong will to live that it's sprouted up between the sprinkler manifold, brick and wire fence. I did not have the heart to thin this little fella.


So, as you can see, it's slow going in the vegetable beds in the winter time. I mean, this far into the spring veg garden and I had harvested the first of my tomatoes and was already ogling watermelons and canteloupes. Perhaps we'll have a head of broccoli by the time our kitchen is done. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the garden is coming along slowly, since we all know how *quickly* our kitchen is progressing. *Sigh*

A sneak peek at the other hangers-on in the Finny garden: (Meyer Lemon, Black Rose, Tree Aloe cutting, mixed succulents)



Not to be ungrateful for the winter "bounty" I have going on here, but I have already picked out the seeds for my spring garden. That's right, I said seeds. I am going to attempt to start seeds for our Big Boy tomatoes, canteloupe, watermelon and cukes in my sunny nook window this spring.

I know you're all riveted. What's worse, for you all that is, is that my mom-in-law gave me a book on worm composting for Christmas and I plan to use it to build my own worm composting farm. Gross? Yes! Beneficial? Yes! Likely to come to fruition in my house? We'll see.

1 comment:

[2013 update: You can't comment as an anonymous person anymore. Too many douchebags were leaving bullshit SPAM comments and my inbox was getting flooded, but if you're here to comment in a real way like a real person, go to it.]

Look at you commenting, that's fun.

So, here's the thing with commenting, unless you have an email address associated with your own profile, your comment will still post, but I won't have an email address with which to reply to you personally.

Sucks, right?

Anyway, to remedy this, I usually come back to my posts and post replies in the comment field with you.

But, if you ever want to email me directly to talk about pumpkins or shoes or what it's like to spend a good part of your day Swiffering - shoot me an email to finnyknitsATgmailDOTcom.

Cheers.