Wednesday, February 07, 2007

As good as it gets, for now


There are a lot of random things I keep on my mental mind list which I want to do someday.

Some of which I've done: shark diving, fly fishing, becoming financially independent of my parents, eating candy on the way home from the dentist, knitting...

Some of which I've only dreamed of: Moving to a foreign country, becoming a horticulturalist, going into one of my favorite stores and pointing to a big fancy display and saying, "Wrap it up", running a long distance race (btw, long distance = more than the distance from my place of business to the departing train)...

Well, I'm happy to say that today I can officially check off a "Something that I've always wanted to do": dogsledding.

Sort of, anyway. It's a start. I mean, my real dream is to learn how to drive a team of dogs, on my own, out into the cold wilderness to explore areas I'd never see otherwise.

I've read pretty much every book written on the subject and fantasized plenty about the idea, but having never been hitched to a team of dogs and dragged across the snow, it's hard to know if I'd really be as into it in person as I was while reading along from the warm safety of my couch.

Turns out, I'm irretrievably hooked. And that's after only one ride in the warm (34 or so degrees) starry wilderness around Grand Targhee Resort in Wyoming. From inside the sled bag, I rode along cradling an Alaskan ale, laughing and smiling the whole way as a team of 12 dogs (Wick, Jelly Bean, Anna, Roe Sham Bo, Governor, Briggs, Big Way, Gretel, Rusty and 3 more that I can't remember no matter how hard I try) happily pulled my driver (Justin) and I around about 10 miles of snowy Wyoming mountainside.

Clearly there's a lot more to it than this. As Laura can probably explain better than I, this is a very intense sport involving very low temps (dogs apparently run best at about 20 below - yeesh), incredible dedication and knowledge for animal care, the ability to survive solely on Snickers bars if necessary, etc.

All those nitty details aside, I am still more in love with it than ever. All from the comfort of a lovely slopeside condo.

For now...

5 comments:

  1. It's great you took the plunge! If you do want to do the overnight/camping dogsled trip, I recommend www.pawsforadventure.com. Leslie is a great cook and does wonderful trips! Love the demonic glowing eyes of the dog behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestion - I think the overnight trips with mushing instruction included sound awesome! That settles it. I'm doing this for my next birthday.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I am so pleased you were able to do this! As long as I've known you, you've been a Ididarod (sp?) nut. Love the photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That;s so cool!! Way to go following your list too. Most of us just let those things fizzle. I'm going to put that on my list of things to do this week: "Update list of things to do in life"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't surprise me from my little bombshell, who just takes those life list things and crosses them off one after the other! Miss you! I'm buried in wedding planning... ci sentiamo presto, però, te lo prometto!!

    ReplyDelete

[2013 update: You can't comment as an anonymous person anymore. Too many douchebags were leaving bullshit SPAM comments and my inbox was getting flooded, but if you're here to comment in a real way like a real person, go to it.]

Look at you commenting, that's fun.

So, here's the thing with commenting, unless you have an email address associated with your own profile, your comment will still post, but I won't have an email address with which to reply to you personally.

Sucks, right?

Anyway, to remedy this, I usually come back to my posts and post replies in the comment field with you.

But, if you ever want to email me directly to talk about pumpkins or shoes or what it's like to spend a good part of your day Swiffering - shoot me an email to finnyknitsATgmailDOTcom.

Cheers.